Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Nancy Cohen

I have come across Nancy Cohen both in the Joetta Maue's blog and the Spring 2011 edition of Fiberarts magazine; and I guarantee I will see her work elsewhere, as it is stunning!


Her installations are mainly composed of glass, metal and/or paper. They have a light, airy feel to them which is why I feel that I am drawn to them. Some of her pieces are a scale that invites intimacy and close-up viewing, yet also large works she has work that is for public viewing.




The installation that catches my eye the most is Estuary: Moods and Modes. It was created in 2007 and it is 53x11x18 feet, handmade paper and wire.




The bright colors caught my eye as I scrolled down Joetta's blog page...how could they not?



I am most attracted to this because I can see similar characteristics to the piece I am currently trying to tackle.  The piece is not literal, it shows a change in color and size, and dances up the wall as if it were growing. She also used paper that she made herself...similar to what I am trying to do with my yarn (taking the material and 'owning' it to make my own surface). 

I am also intrigued by her drawings. They are on her handmade paper, and are paper pulp with embedded wire.That is it. Here's Her Website if you want to see more



No comments:

Post a Comment